Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Things I'm Loving About Oxford

Well, I'm here! I made it across the pond and now I'm looking at a month in Oxford aka the place of my dreams. Part of me is still wondering what on earth I'm doing- I must have signed up for this in a moment of bravery because now I'm a total scaredy cat. As Mom pointed out though, I would have been kicking myself if I hadn't signed up. It'll be good. It'll all be good. The longer I'm here and the more I explore and find, the more in love with this place I fall. I was already obsessed, but now that I've seen it in person... sorry Mom and Dad, I'm never coming home. Pack up the house and move the fam out here.:-)

I think by signing up for Summerfuel, I signed up for a bigger learning experience than I could have imagined. One of the neatest parts of this program is that instead of saying I'm from Georgia, I say I'm from the United States. I'm meeting people from Germany and Italy and Russia and Brazil and Columbia and basically it's just amazing. I love it! I love all of the accents and cultures and the bond that we all automatically share by collectively leaving home for a month to study our passions in a foreign country.

Of course, the best part of England has got to be the actual British people. Those accents- I just cannot get enough! I kid you not, as I was walking to get my luggage, I overheard one man tease, "you saucy minx!" I. love. this. place.

Anyways, here is what I'm already loving about Oxford from it's first impression.
One of the first things I noticed when I looked out my window was the row of succulents just sitting on the steps. I already love them. Every patch of grass has clumps of clover and daisies scattered about, which just adds to the overall fairytaleness of the place. The weather here is just stunning. There is no ac but it's totally ok because it is the perfect temperature. The kind of temp where you can wear jeans and be fine. Or you could wear a dress and be fine. You can bring a sweater or you can leave it at home. You can wrap up in a blanket or spread out on the bed. Please please please Mother Nature, be nice and let it stay like that. I mean, throw in a good English rainstorm or two, I have my yellow rain slicker after all, but keep being nice. And really, just look at Lady Margaret Hall. She is so majestic and wonderful and old. Also, there are flowers everywhere and it's perfect. And my RA, Georgia, gave us the grand tour and showed us where the gardens are. I've started a list of all of the places I want to go explore more and take pictures of. I've only got 26 days to explore everything and commit it all to memory! The end.

Sincerely, mad

No comments:

Post a Comment