Thursday, June 19, 2014

Feeling Grown Up Currently

So apparently growing up is a thing. I don't know when it happened but I'm kinda starting to feel like I could handle this whole adult business. It hit me last Friday when I was in Decatur with Megan and we sat down at a nice restaurant with waiters and everything, and I realized I wasn't nervous. Having to order didn't even make me bat an eye. When did that happen? I remember feeling so scared to do anything by myself. Checking out at the grocery store and asking for help in a store caused minor trauma. Making plans without checking with my mom was a no go. On Friday I realized that I was in a city, with my best friend, no parental supervision, and I felt fine. No nervousness, no racing heart, no checking over my shoulders for creepers who sensed my naiveté. I felt fine, great even! I was having dinner with my best friend at a nice restaurant, we had strolled our way through art stores and boutiques, we were googly eyed over our super cute waiter (who, by the way, laid our menus down with the alcohol side up. megan was excited that he thought we were old enough to drink, haha). When did this growing up happen? When did I stop acting like a scaredy cat who couldn't do anything without double checking with her parents? I'm not going to lie, I like this whole adult thing. I mean, I'm going to be out of the country for a month without my family and I'm not even nervous about it. College doesn't seem like a scary thing either. It feels good to be purely excited about the future with no nervousness tainting all of the fun. Hooray for growing up!

Sincerely, mad

2 comments:

  1. i honestly had the exact same conversation with my best friend the other day. we just kept saying "it's so weird how just a couple of years ago we still had to ask our parents before leaving the house and now we have the freedom to go on road trips and adventures!" it's pretty crazy!
    thanks for reminding me that growing up can be fun! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up is fun! As long as I don't think about the impending obligations and my fear that I WILL forget to pay some bill at some point haha.

      Delete