Tuesday, January 27, 2015

keep yourself amused


I think it's a pretty healthy thing to be friends with yourself. You know, a solid dose of self love.

I make faces in the mirror and run awkwardly to the car and have conversations with myself on a daily basis. After uncomfortable situations that I did not handle well I make fun of myself and send funny texts about it to my mom and best friend. I have a list of perfect instagram captions that I save on my phone just in case I end up posting all my favorite random pictures. I snapchat selfie like no other and get milkshakes at midnight from In-N-Out because gosh darn it I deserve it and it's tough reading literary theory for 3 hours straight. I have shower dance parties to Taylor Swift and One Direction but freeze every time I hear someone else walk into the bathroom because #dormlife. You don't even want to know how many times I've almost been caught in the hallway trying to take a selfie for Instagram that I never end up posting. I read through my twitter feed and crack up over my old tweets. I am an impulse buyer because I can talk myself into pretty much any purchase. I can rationalize Costa Vida or dirty dr peppers at any time of the day or night. When my outfit is on point, I walk around giving myself a pep talk, and when I make someone else laugh, I mentally pat myself on the back. Sometimes, suppressing laughter as I walk around campus is such a struggle because I can literally crack myself up. I actually have a folder of selfies on my computer for low self esteem days. I treat myself like a 5 year old who gets rewarded with food and tv after she does something responsible or productive. I may be biased, but I think it's pretty fun to be friends with myself.

I guess the whole point of this is just to say, keep yourself amused. You're probably a lot funnier than you think you are.

Sincerely, mad

No comments:

Post a Comment