Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Pittsburgh

 ^^^This house used to be a church. I know right? Swoon.^^^

Pittsburgh is amazing. The buildings are old and run down and the weather is so delightfully gloomy. Like my mom says, if you think about it, it's all kind of ugly, but it's old, so you forgive the ugliness, and that makes it beautiful. I am for sure a Northeasterner at heart. I can't even begin to tell you how many pictures of old houses I have on my phone right now. I want to graduate from college, move to New York, and once I get tired of the city, settle in some wonderfully cozy townhouse in the middle of a dreary town.
Visiting with old friends has been the absolute greatest. Especially your best friend from kindergarten that you really only knew for three years before you moved away and now you've been gone for ten years but you can still pick up right where you left off. Sometimes you just meet the very best kind of people in kindergarten and no amount of time or distance ever changes that. And especially when the whole reason you came up to Pittsburgh was to see a woman who you're not related to but will forever be Grandma Genevieve and she is just the sweetest, funniest thing and leaving her breaks your heart and your little sister is so sad she starts to cry as you drive away. I'm leaving part of my heart in Pittsburgh.

Well, we're down in DC now, and tomorrow we'll go to the Mall and see some memorials and, my personal favorite, the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence! I have the biggest literary crush on the Declaration. And Thomas Jefferson. And Abraham Lincoln. And basically all of America's early history. Hooray for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness!

Sincerely, mad

No comments:

Post a Comment